The following is an article from Folha which I translated (and added photos, videos and links to).
On Thursday (13th), the police detained at least 235 people on the fourth day of protests against the increase of public transport fares in downtown São Paulo. Of these “suspects”, 198 were taken to the Jardins PD and another 37 to the Liberdade PD. According to the police, in total, 231 were processed and released by the next morning. The four remaining continue imprisoned, without bail, for “forming a gang”. However, the mayor Fernando Haddad said Thursday’s manifestations against bus, metro and train fares were marked by police violence where 7 Folha journalists were also injured (PT).
“Tuesday was marked by protestor violence. Today, unfortunately, there’s no doubt that it was the police that were violent.” He said that on Friday (14th) he’ll be evaluating the measures he’ll take to try to contain the escalation of violence at the protests.
This is the fourth protest against bus fares in the last week. People started to join together around 4pm, when there was already a strong police presence, which included the closing of the Chá overpass and the frisking of by-passers, near the São Paulo Mayor’s Office. Even before the start of the demonstration, there were already 30 people detained. Among them was the Carta Capital reporter, Piero Locatelli.
The confrontation started when the MPs tried to stop close to 5,000 protesters from continuing the demonstration via Consolação Street, in the direction of Paulista Avenue. With it came tear gas and rubber bullets being dispersed against the crowd which threw rocks and other objects in return.
Some of the tear gas bombs launched by the police ended up in a gas station near Caio Prado Street, while the smoke from the bombs formed a cloud that made the parked cars along the street disappear.
(a couple beaten just for having beer at a bar)
On Wednesday (12th), the São Paulo Prosecutors’ Office met up with the MPL (Free Pass Movement) protestors — organizers of the protests — and promised to set a meeting with the governor and the mayor to negotiate a 45-day suspension of the new hike to R$3.20. Before the increase, the bus, metro and train fare was R$3.
Today, the governor Geraldo Alckmin rejected the possibility of suspending the increase. The Mayor’s Office still hasn’t said if it will accept the proposal either.
“As far as reducing the fare, there’s no way”, said the governor, who was in Santos with the Public Safety Secretary, Fernando Grella, to inaugrate a police station and to announce investments in public safety in the region. “The readjustment was less than the inflation, on the trains, metro and the buses”, said Alckmin.
The Mayor also said he won’t reduce the bus fare. He reaffirmed that the increase of 20 cents was less than the inflation and that he has met his campaign promises.” – Folha (PT)
CopaFifa = 33 Billion
Olympics = 26 Billion
Corruption = 50 Billion
Min. Wage = 678 Reais
And you still think it’s because of 20 cents???
Two short interviews (PT) with two of the movement’s organizers. In the second, Caio Martins says, “when a demonstration is repressed, an organized act becomes disorganized.”
And what they’re showing on the news (PT),
Here’s what’s happening in Rio (PT) in regards to the increase there.
(Meanwhile, in the US, a 20 cent increase wouldn’t make us protest, but we’re totally fine with losing all our privacy)